Monday, July 28, 2008

Restaurant Sales


When I go out to pitch restaurants, I expect to walk away with at least one tryout at the very minimum. So, a lot of times I'll make it my goal to get a tryout before I allow myself to have lunch.

Thursday I woke up hungry, skipped breakfast, met up with my associate, and went out to pitch. Sure enough, it was a difficult area to get a tryout.

We ended up going to a huge mall in the area, wanting to pitch the restaurants within. After my first restaurant told me that it was owned by the hotel attached to the mall, I decided I'd have to talk to the hotel staff and the mall staff before I went any further.

That pushed our lunch back quite a bit.

Starving, with stomach rumbling, we set up meetings with the propper authorities at the mall and recieved permission to pitch to the individual restaurants. We did not have as much luck with the hotel staff. We got a couple of business cards and a cold shoulder. So, needless to say, we didn't waste our time pitching to the restaurants next to the hotel.

I was hungry, I needed to eat, and I absolutely had to get a restaurant to say yes.

I decided I was going to go to the food court so that I'd be reminded just how much I wanted to work.

Holding the prize before our eyes actually worked!

We saw a number of restaurants big enough to work in and we pitched them like there was no tomorrow. (Mostly because it felt like there would never be a tomorrow if I didn't get any food.) Sure enough, all the persistence and hard work paid off. we were able to land 2 tryouts before we left the mall.

And as you might imagine, I scored a pretty hefty meal as well. It was a VERY late meal, but it was a big one.

On the way home, we pitched a few more places. We mostly gathered intel so that we could come back again on another day.

I'm writing this now to say that with a full day of effort, I was able to land 2 gigs a week. I still have some stuff pending, but it is not set in stone yet.

If you are trying to accomplish a goal, try setting a reward for yourself. In my case, it was a punishment until I completed the task and then a reward after the fact.

It also may help to have a partner with you that will hold you to your commitment. With my associate there, I wasn't going to go back on my word, not even to grab a basket of fries for the ride home.

>Jonathan Fudge
YourBalloonMan

No comments: